Friday 4 September 2009

Golding Hop - Plaxtol




By way of a complete change I'm off to the Golding Hop at Plaxtol tomorrow. I'll be meeting up with an old friend whom I haven't seen for some time. We'll be comparing holiday notes and catching up with what's been happening in our own different worlds, but more importantly we'll be enjoying some good beer, in an unspoilt and idyllic rural setting. This will be my first chance to enjoy some English cask ale since returning from Germany, and I'm really looking forward to it. I have written about the Golding Hop before, so double-click on the title of this post to read more about the pub.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Originally from Hadlow and a few years living in Old Soar Cottages, Plaxtol. I know this area well.
The Golding Hop,was a regular Sunday haunt when my daughter was small. Eddy used to let us sit with her in little room under the stairs.
The Swan, at West Peckham. Also a Sunday favourite. Cricket on the green. I met a cousin (I didn't know I had)there. In fact I think he was there every time we visited.
Maybe he held the bar up.
Then there's the Papermakers. I worked there for a while, Sunday lunchtimes, for Sam and Jean. There was an old fashioned till with keys that you had to stretch your fingers to ring up the money.
I found your blog, looking up the Golding Hop. We may go there tonight. It's Halloween and they do a fantastic array of carved pumpkins. It will be a sad, sad day when Eddy and Sonia are no longer running the pub.
Happy memories......

Paul Bailey said...

It certainly will be a sad day anonymous, when Eddy and Sonia are no longer running the Golding Hop. I hope that time is still some way off, but obviously neither of them are getting any younger. I wonder what will happen to the pub then?